Sunday, August 9, 2015

Falling in Love with Love..

...ok not really. But the title was cute from a cute song in a very cute movie, so why not?

To be fair, we can say that I've returned to my "first love"...reading!
     As you can already tell, I am a little ambitious. A little bit of a "Type A". As much as I pride myself on doing things despite lack of time, I've notice that us Type A folks do tend to make another excuse. None of us have time for any fun. I have always enjoyed reading, so why not make time? I've seen the same episodes of Gilmore Girls and Big Bang Theory enough times.

     So far I've read Divergent, Insurgent and Gone Girl. Let's start with Divergent. I really appreciate the dystopian theme. Some of my favorite novels include Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (also known as Blade Runner), Nineteen Eighty-Four, Anthem, and The Hunger Games series. I think it's difficult to create a movie that portrays a fair representation of these stories, simply because a lot of the book consists of the characters thoughts. We can recognize this phenomenon in The Hunger Games, as Katniss just seems whiny and desperate in the movies. Her character is much more tolerable in the books.  In Divergent I really enjoyed learning the different characters motives and backgrounds.

Insurgent was very good as well. I watched the movies first, and now I understand the storyline better after reading the book. Again, the movie didn't do a great job of depicting thoughts or feelings of anyone beyond Tris and Tobias. The focus on the supplementary characters such as the refugee faction members really allowed me to understand the magnitude of the attacks and the uprising.

Gone Girl was...meh. The ending of the book and the ending of the movie were equally disappointing. I do think that the movie did a great job of balancing the past timeline of Amy's diary with the current timeline of Nick's search for Amy. I really enjoyed the depth of each character's perspective in the book. But, I just can't get over the disappointment of the ending. Obviously I wasn't disappointed enough by Gone Girl, so I just HAD to purchase another book by the same author... So far the ratings are just marginal. But I'll give you all an update.

Stay tuned for next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment