Sunday, September 15, 2013

Fun Nail Care Items

Hi Friends!

As you have probably noticed I took a short break from by blog. But no fear! I am back with a vengeance. I'm no longer engaging in unemployed activities, but I will still try to post useful beauty and money saving tips!


So to reference back to my Pinterest post, today I'm writing about a cool tip I learned via Pinterest. If you like to have shiny or even matte nails, I found some great polishes and wraps to do it at home! The wrap provides a gel or shellac-like effect. Since it does not use a UV light, it is not quite the same as gel polish. But, it provides great shine if you do not wish to use the matte effect. The great part is, all of these items can be purchased at your local drug store.

1) The base coat I used here is Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Hard as Wraps nail hardener. I picked this up for about $4 from Target. This step is essential as the base coat to ensure a flat base for the polish and allows the shine to come through the polish. Make sure you only apply 1 coat of the polish, or it might form bubbles. Assure that the wrap has fully dried before applying the polish.

2) Apply 2 coats of your desired polish. For the best look, I would recommend using an OPI or Essie polish as they dry very smoothly. The polish I used here is called "Break a Leg Warmer" which I scored from Sephora in a 3 for $10 deal. Be sure to let the polish dry in between coats, as well as before proceeding to step 3.

3) Apply a quality top coat. Here, I used the regular OPI top coat which runs for $7-8. If you want shiny nails, just allow the top coat to dry and you are finished. If you would like to have a matte finish, go on to step 4.

4) Apply 1 coat of the matte polish. The polish I used is called Matte FX from Salon Perfect, I got it from Wal-Mart for only 3 bucks! Note that you must apply this coat after the top coat. If you apply the top coat after the matte, it will be shiny again. Allow the matte polish to dry and you are finished! An easy DIY manicure!


This tip from Pinterest was great for me because I have the patience (and limited skill) to do my own manis and pedis. Since I just graduated I am on a limited budget, so it's important that I look and feel good without breaking the bank :). Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment